Creating a Project
There is no reason you should have to remember filenames.
Instead, SurveyWin uses a project to keep track of related
documents. When SurveyWin starts up, all the current projects are
open on the screen. The last-project you used is shown active.
All projects are stored in the SurveyWin directory. Each project
contains the names of form and database files. The project, form,
and database are independent files. It is not possible to erase
files with SurveyWin, so you may experiment with the program
without worry. If you no longer wish to use a project, rename and
close it. If you want to delete files, you can use Windows
To activate a project:
In the Project window, click on the down
arrow next to the Project name box to see a list
of your current projects. Scroll down the list and select the
project that you want to open.
Project menu commands:
- Start from scratch with Project | New
- Work from a template form with Project | Copy
- Change your current working directory by selecting Project
- Change the title, form, and database with Project
- Find information about your version of Raosoft SURVEYWin
by selecting Project | About
- To exit the program, select Project | Close
Menu Box commands:
- Form design From here, you can go to Electronic
or Paper Form, Rearrange objects,
or Borrow objects.
- Form preview see a form without
modifying the database
- Data Entry add new records to a database
- View Data view the current records in a
- Edit Data edit the records in a
database, starting with the last record entered
- Analysis charts, reporting, and
- Fast Entry enables a user to complete
the survey using hot keys
- Phone out is like edit data, except
moves through the records from beginning to end
- Database Info tells you various
information about a selected database
To create your own project:
- From the main SURVEYWin menu, select Project |
- When the Project window appears, type
the name of your project and select OK.
- Select Form design | Electronic form.
- When the Form design window appears,
click inside the Compose question window
(floating on top of the Form Design
window). Highlight and delete the text that says Type
here and type in your own question text.
- When you have finished entering your question, select the
Question type option from the Compose
- In the Question type window, select your
desired question type and choose one of the pre-made
response sets (you can create your own response sets, but
you can learn how to do that in a later tutorial). Click
on Ok when you have finished making your selections.
- You should now see your question and its corresponding
response set in the Compose question
window. Select Apply/OK to place it on
your page. If the Question properties Dialog
box appears, click OK. You will now
notice that your mouse pointer has turned into a set of
crosshairs. Place the crosshairs where you want your
question to appear on the page and click the left mouse
- You can now move the question around on the page any way
that you desire. Repeat this process and place more
questions on your page.
Note: Do not use the scroll bars to
place questions off of the main form design screen.
There are no scroll bars in the Data Entry area, so
your users will not be able to answer any questions
that you place off of the main screen.
- If you run out of room on your page, create a new page by
selecting new in the List of pages window. Before you
move on to the next page, make sure that you save your
If you want to work through a more in depth tutorial, refer to
your users manual.