Analysis - Comments
Comments allow you to retrieve the data from your comment-type questions in addition to
crosstabbing your comment questions against any other question in your database. Once you have
created a comment list you can directly import the comments to your report, or save the report
as a DOS ASCII .TXT file for use in any word processor. To directly place comments on your
report page, treat as a normal object to place.
When adding comments to your report, the Comments function automatically generates
new pages at the end of your report to hold the newly added comments. You must place your
comments first, then the graphs, rather than the reverse, because of the varying space requirements
needed for comments. You may place the comments as wanted on the page, then place graphs and
other report objects. After you have added the comments to your report, you may move them to
another page by copying and pasting. If you want to save the comments as a DOS ASCII .TXT file,
each element of the list will be tab separated for easy importing.
To retrieve comments from your database:
- Select Analysis Comments and the Comments dialog box will appear.
- Select the comment questions you want from the Select questions list
and move them to the Comments list by clicking on the
right arrow button. You will now see the question and its responses. If you
change any options, you will have to use the right arrow
with your selected questions again. EZReport does not automatically update the
comments when you make or change an option. In the top right hand corner of the
wizard you can select the following options:
- Analysis Type
- Print text will display the questions and their responses as
entered in the database.
- Count Responses will display the responses for a given
question, the number of appearances and percentages.
- Count Words When selected, you can set a minimum character
requirement. In the box to the right of Count Words an entry box labeled
Minimum chars per word will become active. If you change the value,
EZReport will only count the words that are at least the minimum number in
size. For example, if you change the value to 5, EZReport will display all
words/entries that have at least 5 characters, and the frequency that they
- (optional) If you click on the Query by selection list, you can
query any of the response questions in the Select question(s) list by, the
questions displayed in the Query by list. The data will be displayed in the
- (optional) If you click on the Crosstab by selection list, you can
crosstabulate any of the response questions in the Select question(s) list with
the questions displayed in the Crosstab by list. The data will be displayed in
- Note: None of the above changes will take place unless you click on the -->
button after the change is made.
- If you click on the Add to Report button, this will begin the process of
inserting your comments into the report. A new wizard will open with available
options to format your comments.
- Query byYou can query the comments that you want by any query that you
have already defined either in SurveyWin, or in EZReport.
- Select QuestionSelect the question that you wish to insert into
the report. Please note that you can only insert one question at a time.
- Text for heading Space for a heading to describe the Comments.
- MarginsThis option changes the margins for your comments display.
- Text for headingThe text that is in this box will be displayed in
the top margin as a document header at the top of the inserted comment.
- Add to reportThis button is used when you are ready to insert
the question comments. When you insert the comment into the report, the wizard will
not close. This is in case you have more questions you want to insert or want to
insert multiple copies of a page. To close the wizard screen click on the Finish button.
- If you click on To file TXT you will be sent to a wizard to save
your comments as a text file. When prompted give the file name and the folder
location you wish to save the file and click OK.
- When you are done, click Finish and you will be sent back to the main screen.