Questions Menu - Question Options
EZSurvey's advanced question options allow you to set the Formatting (Page1), Validation, and Alignment of text on a per-question custom basis. Different options are available depending on the type of question. Below are lists of the options available on each tab. Following the list of options is a table showing the question types, and the options available for that question type. The numbers shown before each option correspond with the numbers along the top of the table showing the question types.
- Button type - The most common button types used are Custom Button, Pop-up help window, and Pop-up messages.
Open up a help window. - Pop-up help window
Show a some instructions. - Pop-up message
This is my pop-up message.
Make a Save and Quit button on a multi page survey. - Custom Button
- This option allows you to select the font typeface of the question and responses. The built in choices are Helvetica, Times, Courier, and Symbol. You can also type in the name of a different font.
- Font size
- This option sets the font size for the question and responses. Three is the default. Larger the number larger the font size.
- Font color
- The font color changes the color for the question and the responses. The color can be selected from the drop down list or an HTML hexadecimal value.
- The appearance option only effects the question text. The choices are Bold, Italic, Monospace, Underline, and Strikeout.
- [ACCESSKEY] Hot Key
- Assign a hot key to the element. Users can select ALT-key, where key is the value you specify, to put the focus in the element. (does not apply to some browsers)
- Used as an alternate by the Section 508 compliance wizard.
- Heading level
- This defines the font size and weight used for the page's heading text.
- Place a Save and Quit button at the bottom of the page
- When you have Save and Quit enabled a Save and Quit button will be put at the bottom of the given web page. This will allow users to exit the survey and have their results saved.
- The form always ends after this page
- Setting this option on the page will always end the survey at this page. This will be the last page that the user sees.
- Write-in box height (NS 4/IE 5 only)
- The four options are Large, Normal, Small, and Tiny. This option specifies the height of the write-in box.
- Number of spaces to indent responses
- Indents the responses a specified number of spaces.
- Number of columns of responses
- Put the responses in a table. Specify the number of columns you want your responses to be in.
- No line break after the question
- When selected, the first response is on the same line as the question.
- Hide the question text
- The question text is left blank.
- Hide the response text
- The response text is left blank.
- Allow un-responding to this question
- Lets the user un-select the response they chose.
- Use buttons instead of text labels
- A button with the response text will be made. The button can be pressed to select the question response.
- List Display
- Only for the combo box and Single list box. Rather than creating the default look, you can choose from a drop-down list box or an open list box. The open list box shows up to 10 responses with a scroll bar if needed.
- Should the text be beside or above the input line?
- Select how you want the response line viewed in the Palm.
- Should the text be left or right aligned?
- Select how you want the question aligned.
- Position of left-right divider for a table display (10 to 145)
- Require a response to this question
- Show pop-up instructions if this question is ignored
- For required responses, shows a popup when the question is passed over.
- A short message to show if a question is not answered
- Specifies the message shown to users when the question is not answered. "Show pop-up instructions if this question is ignored" must be selected for this option to work.
- Alternate font color if a question is not answered on multi-page forms using compiled web scripts (default is red)
- Specifies the color used to notify the user when a required question is not answered. The color can be selected from the drop down list or an HTML hexadecimal value.
- Randomize response order when using compiled web scripts
- Mixes up the response order so that the selections aren't biased.
- Default value
- Lets you specify a default value for the response. This value will be pre-selected on the form.
- Mask text: C for anything, U for uppercase, L for letters, N for numbers, * for free text. Spaces are ignored. Uppercase allows numbers.
- Forces the user to input text based on the mask that you specify.
- Force response to be all capital letters
- Turns all of the text to capital letters.
- Question is a password
- This prevents the text from being seen by replacing the characters with asterisks (*).
- Select the response text when the box gets focus
- If there is text written in the box, it will be selected when the user goes to the box.
- Minimum value
- The minimum numerical value that can be entered as a response.
- Maximum value
- The maximum numerical value that can be entered as a response.
- Allow duplicate rankings
- In ranked order questions, there can be two or more responses with the same value. That is, there can be two 1st places or two 2nd places.
- Maximum number or ranked items
- Sets a limit on how many responses can be selected.
- Date format
- The date format option allows you to choose how the date will be represented. The three formats are 01/31/2001, 21-Jan-2001, and Jan 31,2001.
- Not implemented yet.
- Load responses from a server-side script
- Select this if you are using custom dynamic list. See Dynamic List Generation
- Custom response generation code
- The source code for your custom dynamic list goes here.
- Page break before this question
- The page break option is only used on multi-page forms. This option starts the question on a new page.
- Exclude this question from
- If you have a form that you are distributing several different ways, you can specify what questions to leave off. Select between Palm, Web, and Email to leave off the question.
- Table options for this question
- This option specifies how the question is arranged in a table. None is default. New Table starts a new table. New Row starts a new row after a table has been made. New Cell puts the question next to the previous question in a new cell. Last Cell and Last Row close the table.
- Shaded background for this row
- Manually specify if the question will have a shaded background in the table.
- Vertical alignment
- Manually specify the vertical cell alignment of the question in a table.
- Text Alignment (may be overridden by templates)
- The text alignment option aligns the text to either Default, Left, Center, or Right. The text alignment aligns both the question and responses.
- Response positions
- The Vertical option aligns the responses one on top of another. The Horizontal option puts the questions on the same line one after another. When a table has been made, the Horizontal, in table cells option puts the responses in a table row after the question.