Database - Connecting to ODBC
This article is for EZSurvey Pro only. Rather than using a .DBF database EZSurvey Pro can store database information in an ODBC database. This article contains information on how to connect EZSurvey Pro (Desktop) to an ODBC database.
- On the Edit Form (project) window, go to File Properties Database
- In the dialog window, clear the Database File Name box, and select ODBC on the Database Type drop down menu, press Save.
- The Select Data Source window opens. Select the Machine Data Source tab.
- A list of Data Sources will appear. Select the Data Source you want to use or you can create a new Data Source by selecting New.
- If you create a new Data Source, the Create New Data Source wizard opens. Follow the wizards instructions to create a new Data Source.
- A list if drivers will be shown. Select the driver that you want to use. (For Access, select "Microsoft Access Driver", for SQL, select "SQL Server").
- Fill in the Data Source Name box with any name you choose.
- Depending on the driver you selected, a setup screen will appear. Select the database you want to connect to. (In some setups you may be able to create a new database file here).
- Once you return to the Select Data Source window, select OK to return to EZSurvey's Open Database window.
- An Open Database dialog window opens. Select Browse.
- If you have a User ID and Password for the ODBC database, enter it in the User ID and Password boxes.
- If know the table's name, select it from the Table name box. It is recommended that you leave the table name alone and EZSurvey will create a table in the ODBC database with the same name as the form.
- Select Open when you are done.
- If there is an error, check the SQL log. See File, Preferences
- The most common problem is with the Field Length. Many ODBC databases restrict the size of VARCHAR to 255 characters. Also, many ODBC databases have restrictions on the number of fields that you can have in the database.