Publish - Palm Forms
EZSurvey Pro has the capability to create and publish surveys with Palm handheld devices.
Note: a separate license will be required for each Palm you wish to collect data on.
A conduit program, made by Raosoft, Inc. will connect to the Palm handheld device during the time of HotSync and obtain the Palm data file.
- In EZSurvey Pro, go to Publish Create a Palm form.
- Specify a name for the Palm databases (*.pdb) files. Press Save
- When the Palm conduit setup opens, select Save to an ASCII file and press OK
- A set of instructions will open, follow the instructions.
- put the .asc file and the .xml file into the Palm root directory.
- Install the .pdb files and the ezsurvey.prc file onto the handheld with the Palm Desktop Manager.
- On the handheld, select the EZSurvey icon and fill out the survey. When you are done, you will be taken back to the main screen.
- After your Palm data entry is done, HotSync the Palm with your desktop computer.
- You will see that the projectname.asc file in your Palm root directory will have your records.
- You can load these records into EZSurvey by selecting Utilities Import web data
EZSurvey for the Palm will generate forms compatible with any handheld device running the PalmOS. The data collected on the handheld will can be appended to the main EZSurvey database, or exported to another location after collection. The HotSync conduit for retrieving data from handhelds is sold separately.
EZSurvey for the Palm (EZSurvey, Pro, and the demo) gives you the ability to preview Palm forms as you edit them, without the need to download to a Palm to see changes.
View The Whole Form::
- Select Publish Preview Palm form.
- The Preview Palm window will open. You will see the first page of your Palm form. A few seconds later the window will show the next page.
- When you are done, close the Palm window.
View Only One Question::
- Select Publish Open Palm Preview Window.
- The blank Palm preview window will open
- Move the blank Palm window to the side of your screen so that you can see both the Palm preview window and the EZSurvey Edit Form window.
- Select a question, section break, or plain text object from the EZSurvey form. The Palm preview window will show what the Palm form will look like.
- When you are done, close the Palm window.
How to publish::
- Install the EZSurvey Palm HotSync software.
- Install the EZSurvey Palm Preview software.
- Select Publish Create a Palm form
- Enter a file name to give your new files.
- Follow the instructions page. Put the ezsurvey.prc file on the handheld with the two Palm database files.
- Put the .XML file and the .ASC file in the Palm root directory.
- Synchronize the Palm to load the survey onto the Palm.
- When you have collected your data on the Palm handheld, synchronize to load the data to the .ASC file.
- Run the EZSurvey Palm HotSync Setup.
- When you are asked to Select Destination Directory, make sure you install EZSurvey Palm HotSync in the root directory of your Palm Desktop Manager. Continue through the setup.
- When you get to the end, let the setup launch the conduit program. You will be prompted with this message. Press Yes. At this time, the EZSurvey Palm HotSync is setup on your computer.
- Open your current EZSurvey project. You can select Publish Preview Palm form to view what your form will look like.
- You can view a single question by selecting Open Palm preview window from the Publish menu. Then, select the question you want to view.
- Select Publish Create Palm form. The Save file window will open. Browse to the directory you are working in and type in a file name.
- The Palm conduit setup window will open. Select the option Save to an ASCII file and press OK.
- A window will open with instructions. It tells us to install the two .PDB files and ezsurvey.prc onto the Palm handheld. Also, the .XML and .ASC files need to be placed in the Palm Desktop root directory.
- Place your .ASC and .XML files into the Palm Desktop root directory like the instructions said.
- In Palm Desktop (the program that comes with Palm), open the install tool. Press Add.
- In the install tool, select Add to install another file. Select the PRC file and select Open. Select Done in the install tool
- Perform a HotSync with your Palm handheld to install the program onto the Palm
- Once you have collected data on the Palm handheld, perform a HotSync to download the data file from your Palm to you computer.
- Open the .ASC file that is in your Palm Desktop root directory You can see that the data from the survey is in the file.
- Open your project file in EZSurvey. Select Utilities Import web data. Browse to the Palm Desktop root directory and select the .ASC file from your project.
- Select Database View database to view your records.